Saturday, January 14, 2012

I am College mama


Guess what I am doing? I am going to College baby! For the last few years I have had a tugging on my heart to go to school. Chief and I got married very young. I was 18 , no joke, I was a baby! If my kids told me they were going to get married at 18, I would freak! I bet our moms did to ;0. Then we had babies, and babies and babies, Chief had landed a great job and we just made it as me being a home mom. I loved the days I was home with my babies, I have very fond memories. I do not regret that for one moment. I wish I could turn back the clock and not worry so much, or not fret about small stuff. Then our lives changed when our eyes were open to the needs globally and even locally. My passion was lit, and I become an advocate. I LOVE advocating for the needs of children, and the unjust. Its something that fuels me. Fast forward to a year ago.
When we moved to GA and I needed to get a job, and began to look. I realized fast how not having an education had affected my chances to 1. Land a job 2. Land a career that I LOVE.
Chief and I began to chat about options for the future. We have five kids we want to but through school, we do not ever want them to think money is an option of why they can not go. I wont be a home mom forever, I can not keep making babies..sniff sniff.
PLUS, I do think God has big plans to use me for. I was nervous but my drive was also fueled by my oldest son, who kept saying to me. "You tell us we can do anything we set our mind to, you want to go to college, you should go!"
One year later, I was accepted into a University 20 mins away. This is my second week at school. I LOVE IT. I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT! Currently I am working, and taking three classes and yes raising five kids. Its a work load for sure.
I always thought when I was 32 I would finally know what I will do and be more grounded in what I believe and really what I want to do when I grow up. Friends, I am happy to report I AM! So I am taking courses to get me into my major of Human Services and my big BIG dreams is to work for Wold Vision or/and Work for a non-profit of victims of Child/sex trafficking.
Big dreams, I love People, I love the command to set captives free and I know its not just meaning captives of hearts but literally to set them free from the injustice that holds them in cages and chains literally as well as emotionally. Its a command, simple.

Friends have asked me if I feel young again. I think I just feel grounded, I feel secured in who I am confident and empowered, and proud of myself. My family is proud of me.I can not imagine me feeling this at 18-21 going into school. I am excited for the future plans, but hope that I can ENDURE this long journey. I can do all things through Christ, I can do all things, I can do all things.! Excuse me while I go turn the laundry, make some lunch and finish my stinking math homework :)

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Good for you Nat! So glad you took that step to head back to college - your kids will look up to you for that alone - or at least they better. Good luck to you and your homework!

Any unauthorized copying of these photos or posts will constitute an infringement of copyright. No part of this blog or the related files may be reproduced or transmitted in any form, by any means (electronic, photocopying, recording, or otherwise) without the prior written permission of the author.

Pray for sweet Abby Riggs!!