Monday, May 31, 2010

Floodgates are opening wide...
















This Saturday's garage sale was awesome! I had a goal of making half of the 5100 for the tickets to Ghana. We totally made half :-)! Its been amazing to watch how God has moved in the hearts of people with generosity and support, even people that don't know us! Even if no one bought anything they would throw change or a few dollars in the jar and when they didn't they came and gave us good wishes and prayers for our children. My garage was FULL, to the max of items donated by friends. It was amazing! Then my friends stayed with me all day on Thursday to price and organize, and Friday afternoon to get it all done! On Saturday morning the masses came, old friends and new friends. Here are some of the really awesome stories.

1. My friend Amie donated a vintage type writer. I remember my grandmother having the exact kind when I was growing up. When I began my love of writing she allowed me the paper and ink ribbon to give it a go. I would sit in the open air balcony, the type writer sitting on a old mahogany table, the trade winds blowing though the mango, and avocado trees over looking the sea and the sound of the waves crashing as I tapped tapped tapped my heart away. Opening up the type write case all those smells and feelings came to me again. I had to have it. So I marked $45 on it! Yes I so did so no one would buy it. Someone would come to the sale and low ball me I just know it. On Saturday my friend Rebeca took it to my laundry room and wrote me a check for it. She said there...I just bought it for you :)! LOVE.

2. A new friend of mine came to see what she can buy, bought 14 dollars worth of things handed us a check for $386 over..ahh YEAH. FOR REAL!

3. Friends that could not come to the sale...because they live to far, clicked on my pay pal link and donated too :).

I tell you the love.
4. Someone saw my Craig's listing for the adoption garage sale and wrote me a sweet email that they were touched by our efforts to bring our child home. A very nice note.

5. My best neighbor ever decided to (after buying half my garage) make lunch for everyone. She grilled burgers and hot dogs and brought it by. So sweet right!

6. The big advertising FACEBOOK friends did a great job at sharing with others. I got plenty of sales that way from friends that posted to come to our house!
7. Our church leadership donated to our ticket purchase. This was such a huge blessing for us, I think they could have handed me a dollar and said we love you and support you and that would have been enough. Our head pastor has been very supportive and encouraging and that's been very comforting for Frank and I to get!
8. My children were the best sellers ever. J-man the oldest was born selling his umbilical cord. Not kidding, the kid can sell anything. He sold a brown paper trader Joe's bag to a friend of mine for a .25 cents. I thought she would laugh but she really got it! He also sold things he bought at the dollar store going out of business for triple the cost. I know the kid is a genius! ;)
Overall, it was a great time! I love all of you for coming for sharing that we had one for donating your goods, your time, and your love to our family. Soon we will see them and I can't wait to introduce my children to you!
I have tons more of the stories these were my top favorite! The Love surrounding us has been humbling and so amazing, I can't stop smiling :-)!
We do still have a need people have asked and so the need is double what we made it will come. Come on...what God am I serving?! He is so good!

Next Goal: The other half which would be $2400

when do we leave? we are wating for visa pick up dates to buy tickets but soon!!!

5 comments:

Are These Kids All Yours? said...

SO glad it was successful! Praise God for opening hearts for HIS children to come home!!! Can't wait to see you there soon!!!!!!

Gretchen said...

The Kelty baby carrier fit my husband perfect! Every time we use it we'll think/pray for you and your family!

Cindy said...

That is amazing! Wonderful news that you are halfway there!

Teabo Chica said...

Gretchen, I am so glad you came. We must be friends :)! Look for me on facebook. Thanks so much for praying for us!

Stephanie said...

Sounds like you were blessed in many ways! God will provide every bit needed.

Any unauthorized copying of these photos or posts will constitute an infringement of copyright. No part of this blog or the related files may be reproduced or transmitted in any form, by any means (electronic, photocopying, recording, or otherwise) without the prior written permission of the author.

Pray for sweet Abby Riggs!!