Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Contentment

You know that feeling you have when you get a perfect cup of java and sweet young birds singing and spring has sprung with its beautiful bright flowers the sunshine is warming your skin through the window and your kids are even being nice. That feeling called happiness. Now take away the latte, bring on the rain and have the kids bicker back and forth until you feel like you will totally loose it. Your a mom and you know the feeling I am talking about utter chaos! Contentment is the feeling you have when you are okay with the latter, when being not necessarily latte giddy but just okay is contentment. You don't need to be happy with it, you don't need to be little Miss Sunshine, just okay.
Its a word I struggle with because I see it so often misused to mean that if you are not happy in the situation you are in, you are not content. Some of us face really hard and difficult situations every single day. Perhaps your husband has left your nest, perhaps your child has walked away from a faith life, or perhaps your bills are more than the income you bring home. No one expects for you to be happy go lucky and peppy when all of life is crumbling along side you.
Philippians 4:12 tells us
'I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.''
Contentment means to be satisfied to have ease of mind. It the feeling you get when you are not too full and not to hungry the middle the satisfied. That's it.
Its a hard thing. I struggled with this one so much years ago the need to have more and need more. Honestly its old head still tries to creep up on me.
There is a worship song that goes like this ... by Chris Tomlin
''All of You is more than enough for all of me For every thirst and every need You satisfy me with Your love And all I have in You is more than enough You are my supply My breath of life And still more awesome than I know You are my reward worth living for And still more awesome than I know All of You is more than enough for all of me For every thirst and every need You satisfy me with Your love And all I have in You is more than enough You re my sacrifice Of greatest price And still more awesome than I know You re the coming King You are everything And still more awesome than I know More than all I want More than all I need You are more than enough for me More than all I know More than all I can say You are more than enough for me''

In all honestly sometimes I seek for contentment in other things to satisfy me. Sometimes its friendship's and then I get so burnt when seasons have changed and friendships just change because its life, God reminds me very well, that I can not seek it there. Then I seek it in my children and even though there is so much love there, my children are human and they disappoint sometimes as I do to them. Sometimes my husband and I am satisfied with my husband but when I become a gimme gimme need more romance need more time with you suffocating maniac guess what I do the opposite of what I want.
contentment can only be found with God's help and understand that He is more than enough for me and more than enough for you! Praying that if you find yourself in a situation where you are looking for contentment outside of Him that you will be reminded that that lead to a long road of hurts and loss. He is so close waiting by to fill ya up again :)!

Natalie

2 comments:

The Tulloss Family said...

Good reminder Natalie...I love seeing your process and praise God for how He is growing you. May you continue to be encouraged and strengthened. I love you.

Bloggin' Robin said...

So. so true. Thanks for the encouragement. I read a book a while back witha chapter titled The Discipline of Contentment. Teaching what you've posted about. We are in process of adopting from Ghana. Loved seeing your beautiful family!

Any unauthorized copying of these photos or posts will constitute an infringement of copyright. No part of this blog or the related files may be reproduced or transmitted in any form, by any means (electronic, photocopying, recording, or otherwise) without the prior written permission of the author.

Pray for sweet Abby Riggs!!