Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Adoption-Not for the faint of heart

I have heard people say this before and I even googled this phrase to see what will come up. I have read blogs on my google search as well as quotes that share the joys as well as the hardships of adoption. Seriously what does this phrase even mean?

What has been the biggest hardship this far? I'm gonna say the reaction we get when we tell some families and just a few friends (really most of our friends the ones that really know us know this is God, a few family members as well...you know who you are!)

Its been challenging to get the sighs on the phone or the lack of support by just being silent. When we got our referral I wanted to shout it from the roof tops and share it with everyone, yet I didn't feel like that would be the case with a few. God has shown me time and time again that I do not need the approval of others in what He has called us to do. He told us He has things for us that people would think we have lost our minds. I'm sure some do.

A few months ago I was struggling with what I knew God was asking and what I knew people would say or not say and that we probably would not get a pat on the back from every single person we told.

He also showed me the sin in that desire to need that from people. The more I pushed away the feeling and command He has for us, the more I had turmoil in my heart an unsettling.

Someone asked me if perhaps it could be discontent in just being happy with what I have three kids . To which I began to pray about and He began to reveal to me that I will never get a peace in my heart until I jumped out in faith to what He has. WE DID, still with tons of fear or the unknown.

The greatest joy so far?

But today hands down I know we are in His will right in the center. I feel joyful even when discouragement may be at my gate. I feel thrilled that My Father is pleased with me! I know that on the other end of the earth two kids that pray for a family is getting their sweet prayers answered by a loving God. A big joy, that my children at home are learning the Fathers heart for Orphans as our family is an example of His hands and feet to answer the call. They get to see parents who walk in Gods way regardless of what others say and regardless of the cost.

4 comments:

Tera Amsbury said...

I love your post. It is important to be adopting for the 'right' reasons regardless of what others think.
I have told my dad and his wife about our decision to adopt from Africa. My dad felt the need to give me a 'talkin' to' about how I shouldn't adopt at all and his wife accused me of trying to be like Angelina Jolie. I was furious.
When all is said and done, we are still doing it. And, we couldn't be more excited!
Hang in there. You guys know what's best for you and what the Lord wants for you....

handfull of johnsons said...

I can't believe what is happening in your life! I mean I can- go a couple of months without talking to Natalie and of COURSE you've adopted two more babies!
I am SO proud of you for being so sensitive to what God has for your life and for jumping in with both feet, never hesitant, never fearful, always trusting and always looking forward. Your life is such a testimony to us all. But even if it weren't you're right...it's such an amazing story for JUST your children alone. The ones you're adopting and the ones you've birthed yourself. Your heart is amazing and I am honored to call you friend. Now, how long until we get to bring these babies home??

Amy said...

Hi Natalie - I've been cyber stalking you a bit! I am so thrilled to watch your journey - I hope to be right behind you very soon. We've been waiting since March w AAI. Hopefully soon... I love your heart - it shows clearly in your blog writing for your children, adoption, and the Kingdom at large :). I also love your honesty - I have prayed the same prayer you mentioned in your post about Ruby and the parents of your adopted children. I have felt guilty for that prayer!! I'm watching and waiting and cheering for the Teabo's to get those cuties home soon!

Salzwedel Family said...

This post spoke to my heart. We have also heard those sighs and the silence...well, let's just say it speaks volumes. So glad you are choosing the path God has planned for you. It is hard, but worth every moment as your relationship with the Father grows through this process.

Any unauthorized copying of these photos or posts will constitute an infringement of copyright. No part of this blog or the related files may be reproduced or transmitted in any form, by any means (electronic, photocopying, recording, or otherwise) without the prior written permission of the author.

Pray for sweet Abby Riggs!!