Thursday, March 19, 2009

Misunderstood?



This is Aidan two one years old look at his sausage fingers ;)!

A while back I wrote about my sons new found diagnosis called Sensory Processing Disorder. When I found out about it I decided to read and research everything about this disorder. We have the boys in Occupational Therapy once a week and are currently making a sensory room for Aidan where he is allowed to run and release his energy in a safe way. Its been a hard journey for us but enlightening to see the light at the end of the tunnel that these boys will be okay after all! Out of boys I would say that Aidan's sensory issues is ten fold more difficult to handle than Josiah's. Aidan has down right rage and melts down for things that I can not calm him down easily. There is no way to explain the way the house shakes when he is in rage! He is also always falling down and making unsafe choices, he bumps into things tons and breaks things around the house not on purpose but because he has no awareness of his body. Aidan is sensory seeking so touch is something he craves also falling down and bumping feels good to him.
Yesterday I had a conference with five of the professionals on his IEP (individualized Education Plan) for the special Ed preschool program he is in now. 5 people discussing my sons disabilities. Aidan is below average on speech, Fine Motor, Gross Motor but not enough to qualify him for any special needs programs. Although he qualifies in social he has issues with his peers. There was more things said at the meeting that Frank and I are keeping in the tight box, but it left me with a huge uneasy feeling, I don't have a peace with him at this school for right now. Friends suggested that I go in and ''observe'' the class room and write down some thing I think the teachers may need help with or any tips, I plan to do this. Although I just feel that he is still misunderstood that the things he is doing at school have to do with his sensory more than him being disobedient or looking for attention. I can see why so many moms school their special needs children at home, a mom understands her child better than anyone else. I feel like mind has been misunderstood :( I understand they are the professionals and they know for the most part what their talking about but I really didn't feel like they knew alot of this disorder which made me a little surprised. I know my son is not the first and not the last who will enter they doors with this, however if he is not liking to go to school even one bit, I can imagine its because he does not feel successful in what he is doing, and I hate that he feels this way! Tomorrows observation will be my deciding factor for letting him stay home with mom till kindergarten.
After my big talk I asked Frank to get a sitter and take me to get some wine, I am a light weight so I drink half a glass and I am a goner, I had a whole glass last night ;)
Pray for my precious little lamb, he is no mistake God placed him in my womb for good purpose He is so funny, and adorable, and smart, and wonderfully made. Pray that I remember that in the times of this boys loss of control to which I feel like I have lost it to, but I cant at this time. For him I cant!

10 comments:

Heckert's Highway said...

Nat, I am praying that you will know tomorrow what you need to do. You are so brave and I'm so glad that Aidan has you for a mom. I'm glad that you stood up to those teachers. Only you can know your child the best. Call me after you go to school tomorrow!
Love you,
Jenn

handfull of johnsons said...

I'm sorry Natalie! What a hard thing to go through. I hope tomorrow will be eye opening for you. If you don't like what you see, give me a call. Tyler was in the early intervention preschool in the Lacey school district and I went with him twice a week and his OT's were FABULOUS. He tested out of it this year but I could definitely hook you up with names and numbers. ONLY the best for our boys. You are an amazing mom. I love your blog and your heart.

Kelly McPherson said...

Natalie, I'm praying for your school visit today! You're a great mom and you know your children better than any teacher. I know the Lord will give you the wisdom that you need when you need it, but probably not any sooner. :-)

Karen said...

My son is sensory sensitive rather than seeking, but one thing I've learned is many schools don't even recognize Sensory Integration as a reasonable disorder (my son is getting a 504 based on the ANXIETY disorder that he has as a RESULT of the sensory integration). I fight best by trying to work with the school as best as I can but to also have an outside psychiatrist and legal paperwork to back up my claims. Every year is different too - my son had a great teacher last year and we're having real problems with the teacher this year. Hang in there! You're right, God made your boys just right and they clearly have a wonderful advocate in their mom!

Jodie Howerton said...

Praying for you, Nat. I know you're not alone.... And you know what's best for your kids....

The Tulloss Family said...

I've been wondering how things were going with the boys and the diagnosis. I'll be praying for you. I certainly understand frustrations with the school. I might be able to find out how you can get more support if you want. Hang in there chica.
Love ya,
Melissa

marisabutterworth said...

Natalie! The way you are fighting for your boys is INSPIRING. I will be praying for you as you move forward and seek what's best for them. You are a GREAT mama and I'm glad that you took care of yourself with a glass of wine and your husband.

Megan said...

Hi, My name is Megan Clay and I found your blog through M-K-M-H. Your title of "Misunderstood" caught my eye (clearly a God-thing). I have a 13 year-old son who has gone through some of the same things as your Aidan, and I can totally relate to your concerns. If you're interested in hearing from someone who's further down this road, I'd be happy to converse with you. The progress we've seen is AMAZING - and I marvel and thank God every single day. You can find me on Facebook (I'm in the Bellingham, WA network), or check with Kelsy for my contact info - I'll give her a heads-up, just in case.
I'll be praying for you and your family,
Megan

Mark and Kels said...

Praying for you my friend, and for wisdom in schooling for Aidan. Mark and I recently made the decision to homeschool Markus for preschool next year. I am not signing up to be a homeschool mom forever- one year at a time. We'll see how the Lord directs. Praying that you will be encouraged. XOXO.

Mark and Kels said...

Hey- Just saw Megan's comment. She is AMAZING and would be a great sounding board if you need someone who has "been there". Let me know if you want her info.

Any unauthorized copying of these photos or posts will constitute an infringement of copyright. No part of this blog or the related files may be reproduced or transmitted in any form, by any means (electronic, photocopying, recording, or otherwise) without the prior written permission of the author.

Pray for sweet Abby Riggs!!