Sunday, December 7, 2008

Greetings from SOUTH AFRICA!

I am safe in South Africa and just got back from a weekend retreat camp for some zulu kids, I am amazed by them they have captured me. We arrived on Thursday after 29 hours and three flights to Durban South Africa. Our team of 7 are staying with families from the Church that sponsors the organization we are working with. The house I am staying in is huge, has a pool and a great family so I am safe, however we spent the night and then took of in the morning for the jungle/beach bungalows along with 70 kids for the local townships. Its so sad to pass the houses/shacks where these kids live and not feel a gut wrenching pull from your heart. We stopped by the home where the Orphans are staying and I held this 10 week old baby boy named Thebu (hope in Zulu) Frank watch out I just may bring this guy with me :)!
I sadly gave him back to board on the one hour bus ride with the kids. These kids mostly speak Zulu and we had the youth workers help with translation also i have picked up on a little myself. The first day was difficult these kids had a hard time letting us in, we felt very discourages. But when you think of what they have gone trough and with apartide ending so recent they have every right to be guarded. I gave my testimony that evening and we shared with them some bible stories and we were in solid! The next two days were spend just playing with them. During one of the small groups I had a group of girls and when I asked how do they know they are valuable these were the answers.
1 soma: '' I know I am valuable to God because there are so many time I go to bed with no food yet there are days my mom finds and old piece of bread, God loves me because of that''
2. another girl said '' I know i am valuable because everyone in my family is still alive''
not things you would hear form typical 6th graders. The things these kids go through every day will amaze you and this program has saved them from such heartache. I was meant to come I have no doubt about this now. I have so much more to say, I miss my kids but I am just blessed to be apart of this!

7 comments:

The Mobergs said...

Thanks for the update it it great to hear how God is using you to His children there

handfull of johnsons said...

I want to be there with you! Don't you DARE go without me next time! I'm praying for your heart, health and strength. You are doing amazing things. I'm so proud of you.

Mason Mama said...

God bless you and your mission team! I was touched by the comments of the 6th graders, how that makes some of our problems seem so small. Good luck on the rest of your trip, I am thinking about you!

Candace

I WOULD GATHER CHILDREN said...

Wow Nat! What a blessing these children must be to God, Almighty, Himself. Today I have more than I should have. Today I too will be so very, very thankful! I can see you there now! I bet the kiddos love your hair! God Bless girlfriend! I so wish I was there with you!
Lv,
jen in mi

Mommy, Momma, Mom and sometimes Babe :) said...

praying. What a wonderful opportunity to be blessed and be a blessing.
Sharon

The Tulloss Family said...

Your report just brought tears to my eyes. I can't wait to hear more of the wonderful work you are doing there. I'm also excited to share something God has laid on my heart. Talk to you soon.

Hauswife said...

Praying for you, Natalie! Thanks for the update!

Any unauthorized copying of these photos or posts will constitute an infringement of copyright. No part of this blog or the related files may be reproduced or transmitted in any form, by any means (electronic, photocopying, recording, or otherwise) without the prior written permission of the author.

Pray for sweet Abby Riggs!!