Monday, May 26, 2008

I have kept a little hush....

I have been praying for months about where the Lord would want me to be involved in Missions in Africa. I have kept a little hush about this project well via Blog world. I have been asking friends for prayer about a project in December. Let me tell you a little about it.
One day in April I heard on Spirit 105.3 that Anita Renfroe would be performing at a church in Seattle, Overlake Christian. I thought it would be fun to go for my birthday with a few girls. I went to the site and started searching for tickets, but got side tracked when I felt a curiosity (okay lead) to go look at the mission site. Tons of mission this church puts on. Well I see a South Africa mission and my heart started to beat. I called right away and the church told me to email a gal named Jodie Howerton who was very sweet to reply to me eager email :) My questions where the obvious what is the mission, how long, and how much? Jodie and I have been emailing back and forth and then I was introduced to another mom friend of hers who is adopting a baby girl from Ethiopia thought ALL Gods Children, hi Neeley!
I have been in prayer and seeking the lord this is a dream of mine to go, but I really wanted it to be from the heart of God to mine and not from my own agenda, know what I mean? So this Friday night I drove to what felt like Canada :) (not really) to meet with other people interested in the mission to South Africa. While Jodie spoke about what our mission would be I could see her passion for the children and the crises in Africa due to AIDS. I felt a unity like Christ had brought me to this place. So.....I have to decide in two weeks if I am to go to South Africa with this group.
Here is our mission.
1.We will be caring for AIDS orphans at a transitional home (its a nice word for Orphanage) called Ithemba Lethu
2. We will help with small projects around the home
3. My favorite part....we will run two Holiday camps at local public schools for 4-12Th graders teaching them Gods worth at the same time teaching them AIDS/HIV prevention

Itheba Lethu which is Zulu for "Child of Destiny", Is a partner organization though Glenridge Chruch International. South Africa's Zulu kingdoms population is 75% HIV positive. If you have ever read about the Zulu culture you would know that the woman and young girls are treated as if they have no value. They are merely things to be used at the disposal of any man at any time. Oh I so want to spread the love to these girls, its breaks me. So would you please pray for me, I have to raise $3000 and I know to God that's no big deal, but for me that's a lot of dough! This is my only obstacle. I know my family will be safe without me for 10 days. Franks has taken time off and my mom will come and stay with the kids half the time, I love you mom for that.! Continue to pray that this does not become a soap box for my own agenda but for the Lords as I go for the purpose to be his hands and feet in the shanty towns of South Africa. Anyways the reason I was not posting about this was because what if it doesn't happen I would be so embarrassed asking for prayer, and not going. SO I AM STEPPING OUT IN FAITH HERE!

7 comments:

Phil Lilienthal said...

Hi Teabo,

I read your blog on my Google Alert.

I run camps for HIV/AIDS Affected children. The idea is that a camp atmosphere for 10 days will prove more conducive to learning about life skills than schools.

We have had 27 camp sessions for 3,300 children since January 2004.

I wold also like to link people conducting camps all over Africa so we can share information.

I'd like to hear what your camps have done so far and what your plans are for the future.

My web site is www.globalcampsafrica.org. My e-mail is phil@globalcampsafrica.org.

Best wishes,
Phil Lilienthal

Jodie Howerton said...

Can't wait to hang with you (and RUBY!) more! I love your heart!

neely mcqueen said...

so bummed that i couldn't head over to meet you on friday. praying for God's guidance and for him to make it possible.

The Gresham Clan said...

I am SOOOO praying for you Natalie! Praise God for His calling in your life for Africa. I know He will use in you in a powerful way. I'll be praying for your fundraising and that everything would go according to His perfect plan! You are amazing!!!!

Kristin

Em said...

Hey, what exciting news! I will commit to pray for you Natalie, this is so awesome. God will accomplish His purpose for you for others using many people and their prayers. You draw people to you by your display of faith; you go girl! Love ya.

Michelle Riggs said...

What a wonderful calling. I can't wait to read more about it. Are you going to add a donate link on your blog?

marisabutterworth said...

This is SO cool! I have been reading your blog for a while and just recently spoke with my friends Neely and Jodie about how adorable your little Ruby is! I had no idea that you were going on this trip! I will keep you in my prayers as you prepare and fundraise.

Any unauthorized copying of these photos or posts will constitute an infringement of copyright. No part of this blog or the related files may be reproduced or transmitted in any form, by any means (electronic, photocopying, recording, or otherwise) without the prior written permission of the author.

Pray for sweet Abby Riggs!!