Sunday, February 3, 2008

Broken for Africa.....



My life lately has been overtaken by worries of lives circumstances. Many things happened to us last weekend that deflated us financially where we just feel overwhelmed. Too many to mention. However in the midst of calamity......God speaks. And lately its been through my prayer life on the floor, weeping for Africa. I dream of the children, the endless children of dying parents of AIDS, I ache for the Orphaned babies and there older siblings left to care for them. For a few weeks this feeling has been strong HUGE and I am reminded of it every time I look at my Ruby’s eyes. What can "I"do? I can adopt more!!?? When I pray for this something happens in our circumstances that sets us back even farther than where we can swim. My wonderful husband had the opportunity to listen to my heart one evening over a cup of Starbucks as I poured out my ache, and my confusion of why me, what can I do with this burden. And why not someone with more money and no responsibility. You know what he said......you will love it......He told me to go to Africa! We meet as missionaries and he knows my heart has always been to go back to the field. However I know that we are to be here for now. My mate suggested I take a trip once a year...or at least start out with that idea, and go to Africa as a short term mission, well for a week, but he would be willing to take vacation time and hold down the fort so God can use me there. I felt a huge relief when he said that, It been a huge desire and I have never asked him to go, I have my babies and this is my mission field now.....but It doesn’t mean that I cant take a week a year and see where God can lead me in the field of the fatherless. My hope to one day take them along. I have begun looking at diffrent short term missions, and one that really toches me is called 5 for 50. The writer and missionary Tom Davis, really inspires me and puts a voice to my hearts desire for the poor. I feel that I am on a mountain top with my arms wide open and I am saying "here I am Lord send me!" (but just for a week :) My wonderful husband has also inspired me to see where we can work together as a family right here in our community, I know he is a wise man right!
If you have any suggestions for me about missions that your church is putting together to Africa, I would love to know. For now pray for me.

15 comments:

Eric & Tara said...

Oh yes, I just finished this book a few weeks ago and it was convicting!! I have been feeling these EXACT same thoughts and emotions regarding Africa and the children there...there is so much to be done and I SO want to be a part of it!
There is so much to say and so many things going on in my heart but I will just say this- I am with you sister! There are lots of prayers going up for clarity and revelation from the Lord regarding all of this!!

I WOULD GATHER CHILDREN said...

I'm with ya Natalie. Ethiopia wrecked my heart and I believe that which wrecks us brings even more tears to the heart of God and that He is waiting for us to move. My husband is planning on a mission trip with AGCI and Global Orphan for the fall of 2009. I have dreams of going to Ethiopia and starting a free daycare so momma's can work to support themselves and we can love on their babies and children...and keep them safe during the day.
Did you see the blanket party OwlHaven had? I want to come up with a great idea like that too cause we can do it from our home, our current mission field!
love,
jen in MI

julie_joshb said...

Hi Nat! I do have something in the works i want to tell u about. Call me 865-558-0822

Heckert's Highway said...

God has a wonderful way of calling His children to do His work. When He calls, He provides. What a wonderful example of our Father's love that Frank showed to you. His heart heard your heart and responded in the exact way our Father would respond. God is making a way through the man He gave to you. What an incredible sacrifice,Frank you're awesome!!! I can't wait for you to be able to go to Africa!! I want to go too!!!:O) I love you!
Love, Jenn in WA;)

Tann said...

Natalie- Thanks for your inspirational post. I have been so very caught up in the after effects of our adoption that I have stopped looking outside myself. I too was broken by my time in Africa and through the process of adoption have felt God's call. THank you for pointing out Tom Davis and his work. I am excited to check out his book. You go girl. I look forward to seeing where and how GOd leads you. Maybe I can travel with you some time. Traci

Mommy, Momma, Mom and sometimes Babe :) said...

Praising God for your heart and the wisdom of your man to let God continue to work through you.
Sharon

The Hausams said...

Big fat kiss to your hubby... What an awesome guy to say, "GO" and mean it, and encourage you to put your heart into action. My heart aches for Africa, too, and I can hardly wait to see what the Lord has in store. So, smooch your honey, OK?

The Gresham Clan said...

How powerful! I will definitely be praying for you. It's amazing how God works - he had burdened my heart with this as well and I feel at a loss as to what I can do, yet so hopeful because I know He is calling His people to be His feet and hands. What an amazing God we serve, and what a heart you have - thank you for listening to His calling. He will use You in mighty and unexpected ways!!
Kristin

nell ann said...

You should get in touch with TOMS Shoes. They've committed to work with Ethiopia especially. I'm a huge fan of their work!

Taylor Madison said...

We don't know of any specific opportunities, but if you would be interested in doing something with/through World Vision. We have a friend who works there and he has spent the last couple years heading their AIDS outreach and programs in Africa and now that they have incorporating that into their regular programs he has been given the position as head of their entire global mission division. Let us know if you would like us to try and get additional information.

Kevin, Tabitha, and Taylor

The Hausams said...

BTW, we're trying to put together a mission trip to Uganda (and maybe Ethiopia too) in the next year or so... dig a well, build an orphanage, bring relief, etc. Keep us in your prayers!

Christin and Robbie said...

My husband were just talking about how God has put such a burdon on our hearts for Ethiopia and that we want to help, outside of adoption. WE are praying where God wants us to help! We will also be praying for you and you burdon, please let us know if we can helpyou in any way!!!Have a great day!

Stacie said...

What an amazing couple you two are! I'll be praying for you to find the path you're searching for!

I haven't stopped by in a while so I was reading recent posts - Ruby is so adorable - love the hair pictures - hers & yours! Too cute! :) (We use hair milk & hair butter - love them!!)

The Zimmers said...

I feel the pulling of your heart as well. I think it is fabulous that your husband suggested what your heart has communicated, even if you didn't ask. That is God's true voice for ya'! I heard a song when I was younger and it has stuck with me for years. It is a song that I didn't even realize I was praying on until I completed our adoption application. The song goes:
Think about a child who lives in hunger-never knowing what she can be. Now imagine that someone has loved her. Imagine that the child is free. (Chorus: What can you do to make it happen? What can you do to make that dream come true? It will never be if you don't imagine, just what it is that you can do.) I offer the song to you as comfort and prayer that God will continue to speak to and for your heart! May you continue to be blessed by his love.
The Zimmers (Newbes to the adoption blogs.)

Kristin said...

Our church is planning a mission trip to the Congo (DRC) later this year--probably in the Fall. We'll do backyard Bible clubs similar to VBS and construction projects in a school that sorely needs repair.
You could check out more info on: http://www.freewebs.com/mushere/guestbook.htm

Also, you might look into www.awop.org which stands for Africa Widows & Orphans Project.

Any unauthorized copying of these photos or posts will constitute an infringement of copyright. No part of this blog or the related files may be reproduced or transmitted in any form, by any means (electronic, photocopying, recording, or otherwise) without the prior written permission of the author.

Pray for sweet Abby Riggs!!