Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The hair is growing!


Rubys Hair combed out at 4 months

Ruby's hair combed out recently almost at 8 months. The hair is growing! So far its been a challenge with her hair. She has very curly hair upfront and then in the back where she lays down its very coarse. I have to wake up a little extra early to give the diva a nice doo! I make it all pretty and then she goes and lays for her first nap....and then I have to redo the doo :) Its okay I have naturally curly hair and I have to work at making me this beautiful (just a joke) but really its work. I have just purchased Carols daughter hair care and I am waiting for the box to come to the front door to experiment with it. So another funny thing is Ruby's is working on patience with her mother as I work on her hair when she sees the pic getting closer to her head she is historically crying...I promise I am gentle!
On a deeper note I struggle for Ruby's sake on what she may feel on her own hair, will she appreciate how beautiful her hair is, and not focus on how different she is. And I worry about how other kids may treat her because of her hair. Growing up on on Island everyone had Ruby's hair or curly hair like me and so it was not strange for me until my parents moved me to Florida where there were girls with the names like Stephanie and Amanda and they all had straight hair ohh so silky and smooth strawberry blond, and my hair was a fur ball (that's what happens to curly hair in humid weather.) I felt out of place many times, over the years I have learned to appreciate my curls. Even when the year 2000 hit and perms were out!
I found a great song I thought would be great to explain Ruby and her hair. Its called "I am not my hair" by India Arie

This is the Chorus: and you can hear the song on my playlist.

I am not my hair I am not this skin I am not your expectations no no I am not my hair I am not this skin I am a soul that lives within




11 comments:

The Redman's said...

Love the song! Love the pics! LOVE the hair! :) Can't wait to see you guys on Sunday!

-Suzi

Erica said...

What a great song!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE her hair!! I told DH I was growing DS' hair out as soon as he gets here because I love it so much!

God Gift From Ethiopia said...

I love your baby girl and I love your pictures. I am also adopting from AGCI, I al waiting for the CIS letter to go to the waiting list.

I WOULD GATHER CHILDREN said...

I can't believe how beautifully long her hair is! Aleena's is getting longer but it is taking forever it seems. She often points out to mine or Veda's that she wants hers long like that. I believe she thinks when her hair grows out it will be straight like her sisters...today she wanted it shaved off cause she didn't want me to "do" it. But she soon changed her mind! Ruby is so adorable!
Smiles,
jen

The Gresham Clan said...

I love the song! I have visited your blog before,but never left a comment! Your story is such an encouragement to me and we are thrilled that Ruby has such a wonderful family! Blessings...
Kristin

stacnjul said...

How adorable! I can't wait for the "hair doo's" to begin!!! Kyah whines now, I can't imagine what it will be like with some length:) Your baby is so precious!
~Julia

TedTracie said...

OH MY... that hair!

LOVE IT LOVE IT

God Gift From Ethiopia said...

How can I find out which shots I need and the cost?

Julie_JoshB said...

okay so i am at someone's house last night looking thru the AGCI calendar. First i see Aleena then right before my eyes is little RUBY looking as cute as ever! So amazing! xoxo

The Hausams said...

Wow, she's got great hair! Ray Ray's "do" is my undoing... I swear I cannot do a thing with it yet. I need a lesson from you! :)

Ricky said...

She has beautiful hair and so do you! I happen to be bi-racial (African-American and Filipino) and my hair tends to be "confused" most of the time. Part of it are wavy, other parts are curly, some of it is straight! It's such a tough job washing and styling it because it's long too! One recommendation for when she gets older is to take her to a stylist who specializes in her hair texture and they can give you tons of hints!! That's what my mom had to do with my sister and me! By the way, you have a beautiful family!!!!!!

Any unauthorized copying of these photos or posts will constitute an infringement of copyright. No part of this blog or the related files may be reproduced or transmitted in any form, by any means (electronic, photocopying, recording, or otherwise) without the prior written permission of the author.

Pray for sweet Abby Riggs!!