Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Mother Theresa

I asked this question to myself the first couple of days we were in Ethiopia. Where are you in this Lord, I can't see! On day three of our trip our wonderful director Almaz decided that we should go tour Mother Theresa's in Ethiopia, no photos allowed however, am I thankful that I didn't take my camera. What we saw can never leave my memory, our group was taken on a tour of this home with hundreds of HIV, TB, AIDS and bed stricken patients lay, what looked like to us on there death beds. There was a stench in the air of sickness, I cant explain it, its was ill. We were then taken to the children's ward were there were about 120 kids or more, most of them were special needs, many had sores (big ones) one there faces and hands. Many were wanting to be touched. There was one in particular I remember because everyone passed him by and patted his back, he was the worst I had seen. There was a teenager on our trip picking up her new set of brother and sister, Nancy is her name. This boy tugged on Nancy's hand and without thinking Nancy held on to his hand. As if this boy was just an ordianry boy at a playground. Automatically I thought of Mother Theresa and the pictures I had seen of her touching the sick without grimace without apprehension. I wanted to weep, why did she take us here? Why to see more dying to doubt the presence of God in Ethiopia even more? I was a missionary when Frank and I meet, and I heard someone say once that God placed a piece of himself in every culture you just have to look sometimes. Then I saw it, there were so many volunteers at Mother Theresa's. Young men and women feeding the hungry administering medication , taking care of the dying in the Hospice ward. Like Mother Theresa prayed about and lead by example, like Christ. I was put in my place very fast. I end with the words of this loving woman.
"When a poor person dies of hunger, it has not happened because God did not take care of him or her. It has happened because neither you nor I wanted to give that person what he or she needed. " Mother Theresa

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

Wow Nat,

Tears fall as I read. What an amazing experience. Thank you for sharing.

I WOULD GATHER CHILDREN said...

Geez Nat, I love that quote from Mother Theresa. I wrote it down to keep. I am so glad to have made this trip of a life time with you.
-Jen

Heckert's Highway said...

My heart is so sad for those who don't know our Father. I can only imagine how His heart must feel, if I am only getting but a glimpse of how He truly loves us. Not one tear falls without Him knowing and catching it.... Oh that we might respond when He calls...

Any unauthorized copying of these photos or posts will constitute an infringement of copyright. No part of this blog or the related files may be reproduced or transmitted in any form, by any means (electronic, photocopying, recording, or otherwise) without the prior written permission of the author.

Pray for sweet Abby Riggs!!